The X-Forum bulletin board is a free bulletin board, written in Perl. It can be used for every kind of website, even small web sites without database support.
The forum has powerfull features, which include guests posting limitations, reply e-mail notification for members, any many moderating tools. All these features are developed with security in mind.
Easy to install; File paths are automatically detected, and there are no settings that need to be updated before uploading.
- A webserver (personal or remotely hosted)
- Free diskspace; at least 1 MB, 3 MB recommended.
- CGI support; the server has to allow/be able to run personal CGI programs.
- Perl 5.005 installed for processing CGI scripts.
- Perl modules: CGI, Fcntl, Benchmark (debugging currently), and the encryption functions should be complied within perl aswell (most Perl installations have these modules).
- Optional E-mail functionality: sendmail (UNIX mostly) or the Net::SMTP module (Win32 mostly).
- Some Brains
- A personal password for the administrator user
- Just to let you know...
Please notice that you need to make a personal administrator password for the forum yourself.
- Using subjects and flat-style-topics to make discussions easy to follow and respond to.
- Markup (sortof XBBC Codes) and graphical-smileys in posts
- Setting files, Language Packs and Template files!
- Only Members can write new posts, quote other posts and modify their own posts.
- Member Accounts and containing optional information
- Optionally you can enter your ICQ, AIM, YIM, MSN, Website, Gender, Country, Birthday, Timezone
- Member Signatures, placed under each post, can contain markup codes.
- Users Online list
- Member avatar image folder, personal URL's are also allowed as avatar
- Context help, for every screen a different help window is avaible
- Instant Messenging
- Replay e-mail notification
- Administrator Control Center
- Moderators can be assigned to subjects
- Ability to delete posts, modify posts and member accounts
- Ability to move, lock and delete entire topics
- Ability to make sticky topics
- Making private subjects that are restricted to some member groups
- Banning of member's, IP's and IP blocks
- Words can be censored automatically
- Logging of member action's, events and Network IP's
- Forum Maintaince mode; The administator can close the forum
- Post flood protection; A member can't post shortly after the previous post
- Repairing of database files
- Script automatically detects it's URL and it's location at the webhost
- Passwords are never hard-coded in text files, thanks to some encryption methods
- Directory hiarchy for data files